4.1.08

the rough list

More for my own needs, possibly with the side effect of boring away any potential readership, I'm posting this list of things I think are important:

-
Make a budget, and make it realistic. Set regular, real goals which are quantitative.

- Save money. Lots and lots of money. International Student fees are generally astronomical. Fortunately, rent in NZ is less than half of what I pay here. Unfortunately, I can eat for 2 days up here for what a kilo of tomatoes costs down there.

-
Talk to more banks and credit unions about student lines of credit, Canada's Lifelong Learning Plan and whether it applies to overseas study, and gather/absorb any other financial information.

- Talk to Canada Student Loans about eligibility for international loans as a mature student.

- Possible stumbling block: CSL will not be offered for an international program which is comparable to a degree offered in Canada, and Brock has just that. I ain't living in Niagara for 4 years.

- Get a Canadian passport, which shouldn't be difficult seeing as I've had one before.

- Convince Lincoln University to accept me.

- Spend the remaining time learning, learning, learning. Find local soil science courses, talk to friends in wineries about visits, anything to gain experience and insight. Its been a hell of a long time since I sat in a classroom, so it's probably a good idea to learn the lifestyle before meeting culture-shock and isolation on the other side of the globe.

1 comment:

Dawn Z(ed) said...

Traditional student loans might not work but look into professional student loans/line of credit. They tend to be much more cash.

Also... time to learn how to grow tomatoes in a container garden!